Sammy "Skate" Hunter (Eddie "Skate" Hunter in PAL and US versions) is a playable character from the Streets of Rage series. He is the teenaged, kid brother of Adam Hunter from Streets of Rage and first appears in Streets of Rage 2 to help Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding look for his kidnapped brother.
Streets of Rage 2Edit
Streets of Rage 3 / Bare Knuckle IIIEdit
Skate/Sammy is a typical teenager at heart. Possessing the latest style, the latest lingos in speech, and slightly rebellious. He looks up to his big brother, Adam, as he is also his mentor, and trains in martial arts alongside him. His warm acquaintance towards Axel and Blaze turns to loyal allies in order to save his older brother's life in SOR2. His bond with the others continues in SOR3...
- Migraine: grabbing an opponent from behind, Sammy/Skate jumps onto the opponent's shoulders and lands 6 punches on his/her head, causing moderate damage. In SOR3, the migraine comes out quicker, but with less damage.
Skate is only vulnerable to another opponent's jumpkick, high kicks, uppercuts etc.. This move is effective when correctly timed. If timed correctly, skate may give multiple opponent's headaches.
Eddie "Skate" replaces Blaze being the new agile fighter for SOR2. His basic jump is that of a few somersault and is the only character in SOR2 that can evade quickly; skate.
Much like Blaze in the original, his agility may him vulnerable to opponent's counter attacks.
Mega Drive / GenesisEdit
Master System AppearancesEdit
Game Gear AppearancesEdit
- Adam's "OOAHH!" soundbyte from SOR1 lives on, as it was raised in pitch and given to Sammy.
- Skate's Corkscrew was actually in a early version of Bare Knuckle III (with slightly edited sprites) before being fully replaced.
- An unknown Skate taunt/gesture is located inside the Bare Knuckle III sprite tiles. It is unused ingame, and the exact usage has not been determined.
- Sammy is depicted as being older in Bare Knuckle III, despite his cutscene spriteset being arguably younger looking.
- He resembles the playable character from the game DJ Boy, another side-scrolling beat 'em up. This arcade game, developed by Kaneko, was later published by Sega on the Mega Drive. In fact, Sega changed the in-game name of the character from "Sammy" in Bare Knuckle 2 (Japanese release) to "Skate" in Streets of Rage 2 (U.S. release); American Sammy licensed the arcade game for U.S. distribution. Skate is the character's nickname in both incarnations; his first name in the non-Japanese versions is given as Eddie.
- Skate and Shiva are the only two characters in BKIII/SOR3 that can throw Big Ben (Bongo in Japan version) without being damaged.